Day 4 of the Kids Clothes Week challenge!
After having my 4th baby, I didn’t lose weight like I did with the others. So needless to say, I’ve got a lot of clothes in my closet that don’t fit anymore. But unlike most women who stare at their closet in self-loathing despair over having out grown their clothes, I look at it as an opportunity for creativity. What was once mine can now be Anna’s. She is my little mini-me after all. It’s actually fun to go through my closet and look for something I can transform into something cute for my baby girl. I’ve made lots of cardigans and a few skirts from old sweaters, but today I think I’ll make a dress.
I thought it might fun to try a new material with a shirt I wore way back when I worked in banking. It’s very ruffly and girly. The shirt is made from a polyester/spandex blend, so it’s pretty stretchy. Great for feeling comfortable on the job, but boy is it a pain in the….you know what…. to sew with. Normally I work with vintage linens for my shop Anna’s Heirloom Boutique. Linen is awesome….it doesn’t stretch. This is great for getting more precise measurements and it stays where you want it. Not to mention it’s versatile, and the embroidery often found on vintage linens is so charming. This project reminded me why I prefer to work with that material in the first place. Regardless, after I cut the sleeves off my old shirt, there was no turning back. Might as well follow this thing through…..(sigh).
It took a little longer than I would have liked to complete, but it’s finally done! It did come out just a little too baggy on her though. But, with the help of a belt, it looks pretty good. Despite my difficulties with the material, I think Anna’s got herself a cute little black dress!
Come back tomorrow for my next project. I’m going back to what I know with vintage Linens!
I would love to know what you think about this dress, or any of my other submissions for this Kids Clothes Week challenge 🙂